Monday, July 09, 2007

July 2007

Well it’s official; I have the coolest wife ever. She took me to a bike race, “Colorado Crankworx,” for our 6th year anniversary. Crankworxs is a bike event that has traditionally been held at Whistler ski area in British Columbia. I don’t know the background but they decided to hold one at Winter Park Colorado. We drove up Thursday night, ate dinner at a local restaurant, and stayed the night at one of the lodges.

I’m still recovering from my wreck (two weeks ago!!) and it hurts to lie down for a long time, so I woke up at 5 am and decided to go for a walk. I wasn’t sure were to go, so I got in the car and found a dirt road that looked like it might have some nice views. The sun was peaking over the mountains, and it was absolutely beautiful. It was a great way to start the day.

After my walk, I drove back to the hotel and woke up Hannah with some peanut m&m’s. I got the idea from watching a TV commercial were I guy put a diamond necklace on his wife while she was sleeping. The women woke up and kissed her husband and they lived happily ever after. Hannah’s not in to diamond necklaces, and I don’t have the money for one anyway, but I knew m&m’s would get me the desired response. Hannah woke up, smiled, ate the m&m’s and went back to sleep….mission accomplished : )

After we checked out of the hotel, we went to Safeway for breakfast, and headed up to the race.

Crankworx has cross country races, downhill races, and slope style / big air competitions. The event in BC is much bigger, but this one was pretty good.

In the morning we watched the slope style / big air events. The racers would enter the course by riding off a 30 ft platform and landing on a steep slop. Depending on how fast they road they would get 40-50 feet of air. It was INCREDIBLE!!

In the afternoon, we hiked to the top of one of the ski runs to watch the downhill events. These guys (and girls) were riding so fast that I got nervous just watching them….memories of my crash have left me a little gun shy.

All in all it was a great anniversary. Hannah is my best friend, and I can’t image life with out her.




And now you moment of ZEN……this is an old picture, but it deserves to never be forgotten..

6 comments:

Jenny and Jared said...

I like Han, too.

Richard Chamberlain said...

Dude! Eric, I found you. Thank goodness for the Internet. I have been wondering where you went after working at N and UofP. Send me a message.

Eric Petersen said...

Jonathan, I was thinking about you the other day. It's good to hear from you. I lost your contact info with I left Novell. If you leave me another comment with your email address, I won't publish it.

Kara Wilde said...

Hello! You need to update your blog :) I need to come visit! I have two friends (a couple...they just got married) that are going to move down near where you are sometime next summer or fall. Maybe I should just go down w/ them and then come visit you! Either way, some day, I will come say hello :)

Melissa Miller said...

Oh Hannah,
I found you through blog stalking. No actaully I googled Varenka's name, and your blog came up as one of the results!
This is Melissa (Pearson) Miller. How are you? You're in Colorado I see. I love this whole blog thing!!
Melissa

Sunny said...

Eric, I just looked at your exercise charts. You're a crazy person. I love you!